Do you know which teeth are used for tearing food or how often you should brush? When it comes to your teeth, there are several fascinating facts. The more you understand about them, the more you learn about how to take care of them. Take this quiz to see if your knowledge deserves a “crown.” Answers are at the end of this post.
1. How many teeth do adults have?
2. True or False: The best way to clean your teeth is to use an up-and-down or side-to-side motion.
3. To brush your teeth effectively, you should hold your brush at this angle (select one)
a. 90 degrees b. 45 degrees c. 100 degrees
4. True or False: Brushing too much can harm your gums.
5. Can chewing gum help prevent cavities?
6. These are the largest teeth:
a. Incisors b. Molars c. Wisdom teeth
7. True or False: While regular sodas damage teeth, diet sodas do not.
8. How long should you brush your teeth?
a. Five minutes b. One minute c. Two minutes
9. The first toothbrush with bristles was made in what country?
a. United States b. Egypt c. China d. Denmark
10. True or false: Dental enamel is the hardest substance in the human body.
11. If your tooth is accidentally knocked out, you should put it in this and get to the dentist immediately:
a. Milk b. Orange juice c. A damp paper towel d. Pudding
12. Germans in the Middle Ages thought kissing this would cure a toothache:
a. A statue b. A tree c. Your true love d. A donkey
13. Just for fun: How many teeth do chicken have?
Answers: 1. 32 2. False, it’s best to brush in a circle. 3. You should hold your brush at a 45-degree angle. 4. False, although brushing the wrong way can cause problems, including receding gums. 5. Yes, if the gum is sugar-free. Chewing gum increases the flow of saliva, which in turn, helps fight cavities. 6. B- Molars. Molars are used for grinding food. 7. False. The acidic nature of soda causes extensive tooth damage. 8. C-Teeth should be brushed for two minutes. However, on average, Americans only brush their teeth for 45 seconds! 9. C. The first bristled tooth brush was made in China around 1498. 10. True, although that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take care of it. Although enamel is hard, it can chip or crack easily. 11. A- Milk. If your tooth is knocked out and you can’t place it back in its socket, put the tooth in milk and get to your dentist as soon as possible. 12. D- A donkey. No worries, your dentist will never ask you to do this. 13. Chickens, like several other birds, don’t have teeth. Of course, these are only a few of the fascinating facts about your teeth. Here’s another tidbit of information: if you have dental insurance and don’t take advantage of it, not only are you losing money, but you’re placing your teeth at risk. Remember to see a dentist twice a year. He or she can monitor your oral health and create a treatment plan to address any problems or concerns. Dental Express offers dental care for the entire family, including SmileCorrect, implants, emergency dental care and maintenance services. Our practice features compassionate care coupled with state-of-the-art dentistry at four convenient locations in San Diego: Downtown, Point Loma, Clairemont and Santee. Contact us to schedule an appointment today.
Sources: University of Rochester Medical Center. “Brushing Up on Healthy Teeth.” Online. American Dental Association. “Quiz Time.” Online. American Dental Association. “Test Your Knowledge.” Online. The Library of Congress. “Everyday Mysteries.” Online. Wisconsin Dental Association. “Sip All Day, Get Tooth Decay.” Online.